About Safe Start
Safe Start Initiative: Safe Start Demonstration Sites
Pinellas Safe Start
Pinellas County, FL
Lead Agency: The Juvenile Welfare Board of Pinellas County
More than thirty organizations participated in the collaborative application for this award. More than eighty organizations have been involved so far in the planning process.
Safe Start Staff:
- Judith Simpson, Safe Start Project Manager
- Browning Spence, Director of Strategic and Community Planning
- Veronica Ettel, Safe Start Community Involvement Specialist
- Carol Tryon, Safe Start Secretary
- Darrell Collins, Community Involvement and Training Coordinator
- Sandra Ortega, Principal Investigator - Ounce of Prevention Fund
For more information, please visit the Pinellas Safe Start website at www.pinellassafestart.org.
The Pinellas Safe Start Initiative will develop a comprehensive and integrated community response to address the needs of young children who have been exposed to violence or are at risk of exposure to violence. A Core Strategic Planning Group consisting of representatives from key public and private agencies, community coalitions and community residents will coordinate the development of a community-driven strategic plan for this diverse urban county. A broad range of community agencies, institutions and organizations are represented in several focus groups focused in different components of the community plan.
- Reduction of children's exposure to violence
- Identification of children who have been exposed to violence
- Timely and effective response
The community planning body will mobilize a community effort to build on strengths in the current system by:
- identifying the multiple entry points for victims;
- assessing current responses;
- designing a coordinated referral system;
- creating a coordinated data base;
- expanding/redesigning effective prevention, early intervention, intervention and support services.