About Safe Start
Safe Start Initiative: Safe Start Demonstration Sites
Sitka Safe Start
Lead Agency: Domestic Violence Prevention Department
Safe Start Staff:
- Louise C. Brady, Safe Start Project Director, DV Prevention Dept.
- Walleen Whitson, Safe Start Coordinator, DV Prevention Dept.
- Carol Alfrey, Ph.D., Local Evaluation Consultant, Center for Rural Psychology
The main goal of the Sitka Safe Start Initiative is to create and enhance existing programming for children aged birth to six years who are at high risk of being exposed to or have been exposed to violence in the home. Sitka Safe Start will create:
- An emergency crisis response and follow-up case management system for children and their families who are traumatized by violence
- An integrated structure for engaging those families who are traumatized by violence
- A neighborhood approach and interagency capacity for early intervention and support
- Direct services for children and their families when they are at risk for exposure to trauma as a result of violence
These programs will provide successful prevention, intervention, and treatment outcomes, which will be achieved through the establishment of direct service partnerships and formal agreements with community wide agencies, resulting in an engaged collaborative change process for Sitka.